Miss Paige's Perch

While I could talk about the beauty of my new village for days on end, I thought I should probably write about why I’m out in Nondalton. Anyone who reads my blog or who has talked to me recently knows that I decided that a bigger village would be a better fit for me, both professionally and personally. I was lucky to be offered a tutoring position in Nondalton where there are more people, students, and on-site staff. So far the move has proven to be the best decision I could have made and I am really enjoying my new position.

One thing I know for certain is that my new job is going to keep me busy! Some might think that tutoring is not hard-work but it really is. Throughout the week I work with 16 of the school’s 24 students.  My days are split up into 30 minute sessions in which I work on skills that will help students prepare for the state test. Luckily my daily sessions only include working with reading, writing, and math (science and social studies really aren’t my forte). The teachers that work with these students highlight the skills or standards that the kids need some help with and then I plan my lessons/sessions around that. 

 Similarly to when I taught in Pilot Point, I’m working with 3rd-12th grade, and I really enjoy the students that I get to see. While I had been warned that I might receive some negative attitudes from a few of the older students, they have shown me nothing but positive responses. I think they enjoy having another younger teacher around and I’m just happy that they have taken to me so quickly. Most of the students see me each day, but some I only work with one day a week. My one day-a-week kids are fun to work with because I am teaching them test taking strategies. Preparing for the state test is something different but I like it so far. This year we are moving to computer based tests so I teach the kids how to use the tools available to them to help them on the assessment. Also, starting in two weeks, my schedule will shift a bit so that I can work with the school’s special education teacher; this is something I am really looking forward to and I will be sure to write about that experience as well. 

Until then however, I spend my days up in the top-most part of the building which has been given the name of “Miss Paige’s Perch”. I work in the balcony area above the school’s library, something that my students complain about each day because of the set of stairs they must climb to get to me. Some of my older kids have to bring binders with them which they always forget, but I let them get to the top of the steps before reminding them. They huff and puff all the way down and back up, but it gives me a laugh (it’s the little things). 

As I write this from up in my perch, I have officially made it through my first week as a tutor in Nondalton. I am feeling really positive about this experience and where it could lead for me in a professional aspect. I feel that working here is a much less stressful environment and I have already felt the positive effects of having a bigger on-site staff. Making the decision to leave Pilot Point was hard, but I think that it was the best choice for me and so far I am happy with where I have ended up!

No comments:

Post a Comment