What's It Worth?

Yesterday after school, one of the local women brought in some of her latest beadwork. Among other things, she makes beautiful earrings that I have a hard time resisting. I had bought a pair from her in the past, and yesterday another pair caught my eye. I checked my wallet to make sure I had some cash, which is something I rarely use out in the village, and I was in luck. I happily paid the asking price of $15 and had myself a new pair of earrings. As I was admiring my new purchase, the woman who made them said something that I can’t stop thinking about.

As she was leaving, she thanked me for buying the earrings because it meant that she would be able to go to the store and buy some things. The $15 that I so easily gave away would help provide food for this woman and her family. My family is by no means rich, but growing up I knew that I would always have three things; a roof over my head, food on the table, and my family. I never once had to question or worry about where my next meal would come from, and for that I am thankful. However, so many families out here live with that burden. Many days, I know that the only meal my students will eat is the lunch that is provided for them at school. I see the look of hunger in their eyes both in the morning and in the afternoon, and it breaks my heart. Most of the teachers in my school keep snacks in their rooms for the students, and I think this is something our students look forward to on the days following rough nights. 

There are so many times where someone out here says or does something that just helps put life into perspective, and this was just another one of those times. Fifteen dollars bought me a new pair of earrings yesterday; it also helped put food on the table for a family. I know that I cannot take in all of these children and feed them dinner, nor can I provided them with other things that they need. As an outsider, there is a fine line that I must balance so as to not offend or anger the people in the village. However, what I can do is keep snacks stocked up in my classroom and it's the least I can do to make sure I always have some jewelry money on hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment