Cars and Roads, and Stores, Oh My!

The Newhalen River
Last week, after three months spent in villages without restaurants, movie theaters, malls, and many other things, I re-emerged into civilization. So maybe that’s a bit dramatic, but when you go back onto the road system, it takes some re-adjusting and can be really overwhelming. An unplanned broken tooth took me out to Anchorage last week, and I have never been happier to have to go to the dentist. Due to the way the flights work from the villages, I had to fly into “town” on Wednesday and was able to spend a few days in the big city.

Anchorage Highways
Once I got in, my principal from Pilot Point picked me up at the airport and I was able to spend a few hours visiting with her and her daughter. It felt so strange to be able to eat at a restaurant, drive in a car on a highway, and walk around a mall! I quietly took it all in and tried to get my bearings; it took a few hours to get back into the swing of fast paced city life. Knowing I didn’t have long in Anchorage, I didn’t waste much time before hitting all sorts of stores in an effort to stock up my cabinets at home. I almost forgot what it felt like to walk through the doors of a Target and see all the aisles of promising treasures calling my name. I may or may not have gone into shock and spent hours aimlessly wandering the aisles.. There were just so many options! 

The cutest little nurse
Aside from my dentist appointment, my only other obligation while in town was a podiatrist appointment. I hurt my foot while running awhile back and the pain has just not gone away. Luckily, I found out that the pain wasn’t in my head, and they are treating me for what they believe to be tendinitis. No so luckily, I got “booted” for at least three weeks which doesn’t mix well for Alaskan adventures. However, I will gladly skip weekend adventures for a few weeks if it means my foot gets better and I can get back to running around my beautiful village. 

One of MANY delicious meals
Once my two appointments were finished, I spent my days in Anchorage shopping around and just appreciating little things that we take for granted. While I was in town, Sam was also there for some computer management training, so we even got to go on some dates like normal couples! On Friday we met up with two other friends and went to the movies, and it was nice to watch a movie on a screen larger than that of a smart-board. Afterwards, we all reflected on how strange it was to be hanging out together in the city, but I for one enjoyed the company. 

Pretty and yummy coffee<3
As if going to the movie’s wasn’t weird enough, I got to spend Saturday morning shopping with one of the teacher’s from Newhalen. I think we were both fueled by the excitement of being able to have girl time and shop in a mall. We went from store to store just appreciating the ability to touch the items that we wanted instead of viewing them on a computer screen. It was a much needed morning spent in great company, and I look forward to the next time it can happen. 

On Saturday night, Sam and I were excited to get to meet up with a friend from King Salmon who also happened to be in Anchorage. Later, my dad laughed and commented that this was the weekend to be in town. I was glad for the way the timing worked out, especially because I hadn’t seen this friend in eight months! It was so great to be able to see her, and hopefully it won’t be so long before we can hang out again. 

Reunited after 8 months!
After four busy and fun-filled days in the big city, I was ready to get back to my quiet apartment looking out on “my” lake. While I did get home on Sunday, it wasn’t exactly according to the plan. We were supposed to fly straight to Nondalton from Anchorage, but when we started to prepare for landing, I realized that we were flying over Iliamna. It was rainy and the wind was blowing when we landed and while the weather was not the same in Nondalton, they unloaded my stuff and told me that I’d fly out the next morning on the mail plane. I wouldn’t have minded spending a night in Newhalen, but I knew that my friend Cailtin was going to be crossing the lake that night, and I didn’t want to miss another day of school. Instead of taking a plane, I grabbed my stuff, threw on some cold weather gear, and hopped on a boat to get home. When I called the air taxi company to tell them the next morning, they weren’t even phased by what I said. The fact that I was even able to do this, paired with how casual it sounded to the woman on the phone, just reminds me of the unique way of life in rural Alaska. 

Cook Inlet, Anchorage
My time in Anchorage was great and I am thankful that I was able to go out to the doctor, visit with friends, do some shopping, and fill up on delicious foods. However, my trip was also overwhelming and tiring and it feels so nice to be back in Nondalton. The past few days were just what I needed to rejuvenate and gather the energy to get through the next few weeks of school craziness. I don’t get too much rest though, and I spent tonight packing and getting ready to spend the next few nights away from home again. I am going to be joining our school’s volleyball team at the jamboree in Port Alsworth (the school site that is just north of Nondalton) and then heading to Kokhanok for some special education training. While I’d much rather go back to sleeping in a hotel than on a classroom floor, I am looking forward to the next few days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment