Pilot Point: Round Two

My morning flight! 
When I left Pilot Point about a year and a half ago, I was uncertain as to whether or not I would ever return. As much as I love this little village, it is not an easy place to come visit unless you have a specific purpose for doing so. Luckily for me, the itinerant special education teaching position opened up in Pilot Point last spring, and I quickly asked to be considered to fill the spot. My summer was spent knowing that this possibility was on the table, but not wanting to jinx it by talking about it to many people. A few weeks ago, I got the official notice that I would be taking on the role for this school year, and I could not have been happier. Though the reality didn’t hit me until earlier this week, I have been looking forward to returning to my first Alaskan home since the opening was brought to my attention. 

Another day, another plane
Yesterday, on Thursday, I had an early morning commute and I honestly became rather anxious as we began to land. I was overwhelmed with many different emotions when the plane touched down, and as I got my bags. My time in Pilot Point was filled with many challenges, but also brought with it triumphs and incredible memories. Fortunately, I was a bit early and had to wait a few minutes for someone to come pick me up. This time alone at the runway allowed me a moment to take a deep breath and focus myself on what I was here to do. As eager as I was to return to my “kids”, I couldn’t help but worry that they would not be as excited to see me. After all, I had left them to work in a different school, with different students, and I would not have blamed them for being unenthused to see me. 

However, all of my worries washed away the moment I stepped into the school and saw the faces that I thought I might never see, in person, again. I have gotten to Skype with my kiddos a few times since I left, but watching as they ran across the gym to greet me is a sight that video calls cannot come close to providing. I hugged them all close, and did my best to answer the many questions they threw at me. Seeing as how no one else has told me, my kids were quick to inform me that in the past year and a half, I have gotten taller, my voice has changed, and my eyes have become a different color. In that moment, I wondered if they truly remembered me;) The rest of my day was spent observing in one of the classrooms and accepting the numerous random hugs that students offered me as they passed me by. My afternoon in the school was a much needed tank filler, and it made my “engine” run on high for hours afterwards (that one’s for you LPSD counseling team!).

Loon Lake 
Last night, during a long walk around the village, I was able to process all of the emotions I was feeling. In addition to my positive feelings about returning to the village, I was able to reflect on and fully come to terms with something that has been with me since last winter. I don’t know that I have mentioned it in a previous post, but in February I received news that one of my former students had been killed in a car accident. While I was in Pilot Point, this student was on an independent track as she neared the completion of her schoolwork. I might not have taught her directly, but I spent time with her, tried to keep her motivated, and shared her excitement as she reached the finish line. My heart aches over the loss of this young girl whose future was bright, and who had so much life ahead of her. It has been bittersweet, and healing, to return to a place that was once a home we shared. 

Sunrise over Loon Lake
After a low-key, hug-filled day today, I again went for a walk around the village. On today’s walk, I was joined by one of the new teachers and a few students who wanted to tag along. It was nice to be able to visit with them outside of school and to soak up a little more time with them until my next visit. Being the itinerant special ed. teacher requires me to make monthly visits, something which seemed to please my former students. I am hoping my future visits all go as smoothly and positively as this one. Tomorrow, I will fly to King Salmon where I will spend the rest of the weekend. I am looking forward to visiting with some friends and grabbing a meal from Eddie's or D&D; or maybe even both! On Monday, I will meet up with Caitlin and my Cross Country runners so we can enjoy a week in Naknek at Bristol Bay School. Stay tuned to hear more about our district’s first SOS (Science, Occupation, and Sports) Camp! 



No comments:

Post a Comment