Jumping in Feet First


Soaking up the Florida sun! 
Though I got plenty of rest during my stay in Florida, the beginning of the school year already has me running on fumes. Teacher inservice began Monday, my first class of the fall semester began last night, and students start on Tuesday. This year, I am going to be teaching a new reading curriculum, using a new grading software, taking over a new caseload while traveling to a new school site for my itinerant work, and adjusting to a new school calendar. This last change involves having less time in the school year and yet being asked to ensure the same, if not more, student progress than with our longer school year. On top of that, I have to work 300 internship hours outside of the classroom throughout this shortened year, attend online classes, and complete associated coursework. Oh, and I need to squeeze in wedding planning somewhere along the way… 

1st day of work gift
from my new principal<3
Let’s just say that reality hit me yesterday and I am trying my best not to panic too much.. I find comfort in knowing that my support system is looking stronger than ever. Last year was a rocky one to say the least, but this school year is already proving to be a fresh start. My new principal has been very sweet and helpful, while our new elementary teacher has already become a strong addition to our staff. He and I will be working closely as we will share students who are on my caseload, and I am excited for the potential this has for our students as well as my own personal and professional growth. As always, the returning teachers at my site continue to be strong leaders, teachers, colleagues, and friends. I can’t forget to mention my sweet fiancé who drops everything when I need a sounding board or help of any kind, family members who are obligated to listen to my woes and triumphs, friends from home, my Alaska family, and the colleagues in my cohort. I am also surrounded by experienced teachers and school staff who are always willing to share their tricks of the trade. 
My view is as great as ever!
When I look at the list of the big changes and projects this year and then think of my support system, I know that it will all work out. If there is one thing I have learned, it is that no one can do everything on their own. Looking at my support system, I know that I am not on my own, and therefore I am confident. I am tired. I am overwhelmed. I am feeling stressed. But I am also excited to see my students. I am eager to work closely with and learn from an experienced teacher. I am feeling hopeful that this year will bring more laughs than last year brought tears. I am going to do my best to remain positive throughout the year and to not allow setbacks to weigh me down the way they have in the past. Every day brings with it a new set of experiences, so I am going to do my best to continue to step outside of my comfort zones and face each new day with an open mind.  

A "Ryan" rainbow,
showing support from above<3 
Whether you comment on my posts, reach out to me about them in any way, or are just a number on my page view screen, know that you are part of my support system as well. My blog is my safe place to be open and honest about the good, the great, the bag, and the ugly going on in my life. While I will try to keep my updates to the good and the great, we all know that a lot of bad and ugly can happen in our lives. Please bear with me as I continue this journey, try to find a work-school-life balance this year, and also try to figure out this adulting thing!  
  

1 comment:

  1. "Voice of Truth"
    Casting Crowns

    Oh what I would do to have
    The kind of faith it takes
    To climb out of this boat I'm in
    Onto the crashing waves

    To step out of my comfort zone
    Into the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
    And He's holding out His hand

    But the waves are calling out my name
    And they laugh at me
    Reminding me of all the times
    I've tried before and failed
    The waves they keep on telling me
    Time and time again. "Boy, you'll never win!"
    "You'll never win!"

    But the voice of truth tells me a different story
    The voice of truth says, "Do not be afraid!"
    The voice of truth says, "This is for My glory"
    Out of all the voices calling out to me
    I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth.

    ReplyDelete