In the Name of Fresh Produce

Forgive me bank account for I have sinned. Last week I made the decision to place my first Full Circle order simply because I have the ability to. Full Circle is a company that delivers organic fruits and vegetables all over the country; yes they even ship to remote villages in Alaska! The only reason I could not place orders when I was in Pilot Point is that you need to have a certain number of people ordering from the village for them to make a shipment. Luckily for me, there are other people in Nondalton who also cannot go without fresh produce. 

Due to the fact that my roommate orders Full Circle, I couldn’t help but try it out. Honestly it was as if her fruits and vegetables were sitting in the fridge taunting me as I ate my frozen and canned goods. I couldn’t stand their endless mocking any longer and forced myself to put in an order. The reason I say forced is not that I didn’t want the produce, it’s that there is a pricey bill to pay in order to get such goods. It truly comes down to what you value and where you’d prefer to spend your money. I chose to put apples and oranges before paying off my student loans (okay I’m being super dramatic now but you get the picture). Much to my delight, when I returned back from the basketball jamboree I had my first order waiting for me in the fridge. Thank goodness I have a roommate who was able to pick up my order and put it away for me! 

As much as I wanted to sink my teeth into my new yummy treats, bush life has taught me the importance of rationing and savoring fresh food. My little box of goodness included the following: 2 apples, 3 oranges, 3 kiwi, 4 pears, 4 avocados, and some little baby potatoes ( I’m probably missing something but that’s all I can remember right now). The best part is that you can choose from their list of available items each week and personalize what you get. If for some reason they can’t ship something, they will replace it with something else. You can get deliveries to the village as often as once a week, but I would quickly become bankrupt if I chose that option. I plan to get a box once a month and I should be able to spread it out to last until the next delivery. Going to Newhalen on the weekends has helped too because their store gets produce as well for a great price (for a village that is). This truly is just another adjustment that comes along with life in the bush, but it’s safe to say that this month I will be able to satiate my cravings for crispy apples and juicy pears! 

No comments:

Post a Comment