Time Flies!

As I looked at the date this morning I realized that it was six months ago today that I arrived in Alaska. As I write this I am struggling to wrap my mind around the fact that half of a year has passed since I took a leap of faith and moved 3,800 miles away for my first teaching job. I’ll never forget the overwhelming emotions I felt as I left my dad and sister behind at the airport and began my Alaskan adventure. I was leaving everything comfortable and familiar behind in search of adventure and independence; if only I had known then what an incredible journey was in store for me.

When I decided to come to Alaska, I never thought that this state could grab ahold of me as it has nor did I dream of seeing and experiencing all that I’ve witnessed and taken part in. In thinking of ways to commemorate my “alaskaversary”, writing was of course the first thing to come to mind. I’ve decided to write about six things that I’ve learned during my time on the last frontier; about myself, teaching, and just life in general. 

Lesson Number One: It’s okay to be scared- 
Had I not gone with my gut instinct and pursued a teaching job in Alaska, I know that I would have regretted it for the rest of my life. My motto before moving out here was “I’d rather say ‘Oh well than what if’” and that is something that continues to stay with me. I was terrified to move so far from home on my own, but I know now that if I had turned down the offer that I would have questioned “what if” every moment after. There have been so many experiences (running into a moose, flying a plane, chaperoning a trip to Anchorage, etc.) in which I have been scared out of my mind. There are also many times when I am certain that I cannot try what is being offered to me or do what is asked of me.  A quote that I always tell my students is “It’s okay not to know, but it’s not okay not to try”, and I have come to live by this as well. I’ve learned to put my fears aside or bring them along with me and just try every single opportunity that comes my way. As crazy as it sounds, the “rollercoaster” feeling that I get in the pit of my stomach when I’m facing the unknown has become one of the best parts of my many experiences. Being scared isn’t always a bad thing!
 
Lesson Number Two: Family and friends are everything-
I can’t imagine being able to push through my toughest days without the support of my friends and family back home. The care packages and letters that I have received have meant so much to me. Living in the bush can get incredibly lonely, so even just seeing the handwriting of a loved one can help get me through. We are separated by thousands of miles, but I know that I could call my family or friends at any time of the day and they would answer. Not only this, but the support system that I have gained throughout my district has been amazing as well. Whether I need help with ideas for lessons or just to talk to someone on the same time-zone, I have people I can turn to for help. I feel blessed for all of the great people in my life. 

Lesson Number Three: I can advocate for myself-
And it’s okay for me to do so. My decision to leave Pilot Point was one that I had to make on my own and for my own reasons. However, it was the scariest decision I have ever had to make. One of the most important things I have learned during my time in Alaska is that as an adult, I am the one who needs to advocate for myself. It is alright to speak up and reach out to people who will help me better my life. No one else is going to make decisions for me (as much as I want them to sometimes) and I have come to realize that it’s up to me to make the choices that will lead to my happiness and well being. 

Lesson Number Four: It’s not always about the lesson plan-
As a first year teacher out in the bush, I have had to juggle many grade levels and content areas. However, I have also come to learn that some days, what I have planned to teach truly doesn’t need to come first. Some days, all that matters is that I smile at my students, tell them I care about them, or laugh at their jokes. Many lessons have been put on hold or pushed back so that I can make sure that my students feel safe, cared for, and most importantly, wanted. During my time in Pilot Point, I sometimes had a hard time distinguishing whether I was a parent or a teacher, but that was just another hat that I wore. Do I want my students to learn addition and history and how to write a paragraph? Of course I do. I want them to use their little spongy brains to soak up everything I put in front of them. On the other hand though, it’s equally if not more important that I make sure my students have food in their bellies and that they feel safe when they are in my classroom. I have come to find the balance and decide what is the most pressing matter at hand. Sometimes the classwork can wait. 
Lesson Number Five: Always bring a camera-
Plain and simple. This world is a beautiful place and there are so many sights to see. I never leave home without making sure I have a camera. Pictures do little justice in terms of Alaskan scenery, but even at that they are beautiful. I think photos capture moments and memories better than any other souvenir. 

Lesson Number Six: It’s okay to be disconnected-
Sure I get frustrated when calls drop or texts don’t send, but all in all, I enjoy feeling disconnected a majority of the time. I do not have internet in my house and I look forward to going home at night and being away from the black-hole that is the internet (seriously I click on one buzzfeed link and suddenly four hours have passed and I’m still scrolling through different links). The world will not end if I can’t send texts or get Facebook notifications. I get to read and write letters and actually give my full attention to the people I am visiting with. I love every disconnected minute that the bush has provided me with and have learned to appreciate my phone/computer-free hours. 

Each day brings with it new life lessons to take in and leaves me with stories to tell. Life in Alaska is teaching me who I am, who I want to be, and what matters most in life. I am so thankful that LPSD was brought to my attention and that I was given the opportunity to teach in the bush. Six months has come and gone and I can’t believe the things I’ve done during that time. Who knows what the next few months will look like, but I hope they are just as amazing as my first six! 

*The pictures for this post are just randoms photos taken this month (Nondalton, Newhalen, and Port Heiden). The first one is a picture of my village as we were flying in. Much different from PIP!

No comments:

Post a Comment