That's a Wrap!

Still some sunlight at
1 a.m. in Nondalton!
Much like the rest of this year, the last few weeks of school passed me by in the blink of an eye. As I type this from my room at my mom’s house, I can’t believe that my second year in Alaska is already over. However, this break is one that my body and mind have been longing for. The many long days and nights filled with paperwork and classwork started to wear away at me in my final weeks and I was often excited for when I could climb into bed and just sleep. However, the land of the midnight sun kept calling my name and it was difficult to fall asleep while the sun was still out. There were many nights that I stayed up later than I wanted, just to get outside for a walk or to have a bonfire with the rest of my staff.

Gifts from a student:) 
In addition to enjoying the fresh air and long nights, I also got to enjoy watching three of our students celebrate a major milestone as they graduated from Nondalton. I’ve watched these three students work to achieve this accomplishment, and it was so exciting to see them receive their diplomas. Not only was the graduation a reason to celebrate, but we also had our new principal in the village when graduation took place. It was great for the students, families, and community members to be able to meet our newest staff member. However, it was a bittersweet moment as it meant that our current principal is truly leaving us. He and his wife, our guidance counselor, retired at the end of the year, and their removal from the community will not be overlooked. I am so thankful to have been able to work with the two of them, and know that they will be dearly missed by both students, staff, and community members. Next year will be one in which we will all adjust to the staff change, but luckily our teaching staff will remain the same and this will help make the transition easier for everyone. 
Popped into Kokhanok during
 our flight to Anchorage

While the transition will be a big one, I am going to put a pause to preparations and thoughts of the upcoming school year so that I might fully enjoy my summer break. I’ve been home for about a week now, and I’ve gotten to catch up with some family members and great friends. I look forward to spending the next two months visiting with relatives and friends, going on adventures, and soaking up the sun (I have been desperately trying to work on my tan since I’ve been home!).I am also excited for my current summer class to end so that I can truly relax. My only hope is that the summer doesn’t pass by too quickly! 

Fun fact: This was my
18th flight of 2016!
This year was full of ups and downs, and my students never failed to make me laugh, often tested my patience, and taught me new things each day. I feel that I am finally getting the hang of being a special education teacher (and just a teacher in general), and I am glad that my position will be the same next year. The adventures I had have created lasting memories, and I am eager to make more memories in the upcoming year. Blogging helps me reflect on and remember those adventures, so I plan to keep writing about my experiences throughout my third year of teaching and living in Alaska. I continue to be thankful for those of you who read about my experience, and hope that you continue to do so in the future. For now though, I am going to sign off and stay up late to binge watch one of my favorite shows (partly due to jet lag, but also because this girl doesn’t have to get up for school tomorrow!). 



No comments:

Post a Comment