Summing Up Summer

Annabelle and I love Dr. Seuss
As my time on the East Coast winds down, I’ve spent the last few days thinking about how I should write a summer recap. However, packing up and visiting with friends and family members has taken precedence and my blog has once again been put on the back burner. This morning, though, my dad and I were out on a run when he brought up the lack of blog entries I’ve had this summer, so I thought I would finally take some time to sit down and reflect upon the past few months.  

Surprise!
Much like last year, this summer has been one in which I have lived out of a suitcase and have hopped from state to state. In the past two and a half months, I’ve traveled my way up and down the east coast, from New Jersey down to Florida, hitting all of the states in between. Along the way, I crossed Georgia and Tennessee off the list of states I’ve never been to, though I didn’t spend much time in either. In my travels, I was able to meet Sam’s adorable niece Annabelle, snorkel in a natural spring, tour some tiny houses, and go to Universal Studios (Harry Potter World!). Two highlights from summer include getting to see Luke Bryan and Garth Brooks in concert, both of which were amazing shows. Another experience I will never forget is when my best friend, Shawnee, and I met two of our favorite actors, Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder. And while it makes me want my own dog even more, I have loved getting to know my family's newest pup, Dakota. Oh, and my siblings and I even managed to surprise our mom with an early 50th birthday party (surprises are so hard to keep!). Over the past few months, I've spent time with old friends, new friends, and a lot of family members. This has been a summer filled with countless adventures and unforgettable moments. 
We're missing you Ryan<3


Though a great portion of my summer was filled with happiness, it has unfortunately also been impacted by a great sadness. A few weeks ago, Sam’s best friend Ryan passed away, and though I didn’t get to know him for long, my heart aches for his family, friends, fellow Marines, and for anyone that had the fortune of meeting this genuinely kind person. I am grateful for the time I got to spend with Ryan and for the memories that I have of him. I have spent the better part of the last hour beginning to type and then deleting everything because no words seem right; however, this blog is about my life, and losing a friend is unfortunately something that can, and will, happen in life. Something I also know is that I have the choice to cry and be sad, or I can go out and try to live my life to the fullest and do crazy, exciting things in Ryan’s honor; I know that Ryan would choose the latter, so that’s the path I’m going to take. 
Forever adventuring with this guy:)

As for right now, I have a few days left in PA/NJ and then I will be hopping on a few planes and heading back to the bush. Though I love being able to come home for the summer, I also miss the home that Alaska has become to me. I yearn for my lakefront apartment and for the quiet, slow pace of village life. Though my excitement will probably fade once school starts, I am even looking forward to my five a.m. float plane wake up calls! It is hard to believe that I am about to start my third year of living and teaching in Alaska, but I am ready to see my “kids” and to have some more blog-worthy adventures. 




No comments:

Post a Comment