The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Blueberries, Cranberries,
and Crowberries
The Good- 

This weekend, as I was out picking berries in the tundra, I once again found myself overcome with emotion as I took in the vast expanse of my surroundings. Then, as I made blueberry pancakes for breakfast the next morning I couldn’t help but think about how awesome it is that I can go into my “backyard” and pick more blueberries, crow-berries/blackberries, and cranberries than I know what to do with. Since I don’t much like crowberries, and cranberries are best after the first frost, I can focus my picking to one type of berry at a time. Besides the pancakes, I made a blueberry crumble which my co-workers seemed to enjoy. I am eager to use the berries to try out some more recipes that I’ve found, and maybe I'll be able to make jam to bring back for my family at Christmastime! 

Blueberry Crumble 
Another good part about the weekend was when I went out with Sam and a few friends on Sunday. We took advantage of the seemingly perfect weather to take one of the newbies on a tour of some of our favorite spots. Along the way, we stopped a few times to pick blueberries as there were hundreds of patches ripe for the picking. I appreciated the fact that I was able to be with someone as they experienced their first trip around “the loop”. I couldn’t help but remember the first time I’d gone on that trip and how amazing it had been, and still is. We stopped by an overlook to see the Newhalen River, rode on Bear Creek Trail, and got up close to Tazimna Falls. The beautiful weather, great company, trailside snacks (so many blueberries!), and numerous pit-stops made for an incredible day. 
The Newhalen River

The Bad-

Bears like berries too!
As much as I love summer, it seems as though our first frost is still months away. Believe me when I say the bugs are enjoying every warm second of summer. I wake up each morning hoping for wind, and get excited when I hear a breeze against whatever building I am in. You see, with the wind comes a break from the always present No-See-Ums and other winged critters that like to feast on humans. I am not exaggerating when I say that I can look out my window on a still day and see the swarms of bugs. However, at the same time, I also see mountains and tundra trails that are always calling my name, even on the calmest of days. 

In Alaska, going outside on a day when there is no wind means that a majority of the time your eyes will be closed and you will look a bit odd as you constantly have one hand swatting away the blanket of bugs that are trying to eat you alive. In turn, the locals will laugh and tease you, but then you reach a point where you would gladly take their kind hearted joking rather than suffer the agony of a No-See-Um bite. I’ve long since hit this point, and swat away the bugs without shame. Did I mention that putting on bug spray out here is somewhat of a placebo effect? Quite personally, I am convinced the bugs are immune to it; then again, this does not stop me from spraying myself down and hoping for the best. Needless to say, I cannot wait until the first frost brings a reprieve from my ever present flying enemies. 
Tazimna Falls 
The Ugly… 

The device that collects
water from the lake
As I type this, I’ve just gotten home from school where I showered for the second day in a row. Starting a little over a week ago, the village began to experience some difficulties with it’s water supply. I have yet to fully understand the issue that is causing the problem, but I do know that last week I woke up every day wondering if I’d be have running water that day. It was also a week in which sending or receiving the text “Water!” was something to look forward to. Fortunately, I have gotten used to there being problems with the water every now and then and I have been able to fill two five-gallon water jugs for the times in which we are without water. However, this time is by far the worst it has been since I moved to Nondalton, and from what I’m hearing, it might continue throughout this week. 

Luckily for us, the school runs off of a well, and there has been a consistent supply of water in the building. There also appears to be a device that is siphoning water from the lake, and the city has invited community members to go to  a place called “the watering point” to stock up on water. I am grateful for the school having water and for being able to get more from the city if I find that I need to do so. At the same time, I am looking forward to the problem getting fixed so that I can shower without wearing flip-flops and wash the growing pile of dishes in my kitchen sink. 

The Winner-

Six Mile Lake 
While “the Bad” and “the Ugly” may seem bad and ugly, “the Good” truly outweighs these two negatives. I would gladly bathe in the lake while being swarmed by No-See-Ums, than be anywhere else. Alright, my last statement may be an exaggeration, but I think it paints a nice picture. Everything in life comes with positives and negatives, but I have learned that in every situation we also have a choice as to which we will let control of us. Some days, the negatives weigh on me and bring me down, but then I look out the window of my lake-front apartment or spend a few hours in the tundra picking blueberries and I am quickly reminded of how fortunate I am. Here’s to hoping for endless adventures, running water, windy days, and an early frost! 

No comments:

Post a Comment