Summing Up '16

One of my favorite
photos from this year
As another year comes to a close, I am thankful to have a chance to reflect on the year and all that has happened in just 365 days. There have been moments of pure happiness and also moments of tragic loss, and then everything in between. While I feel that I have been able to keep up adequately enough on my blog throughout the year, I wanted to take the chance to highlight some of, but not nearly all of, my favorite moments from this year. 

Top Moments of 2016-
My favorite picture
from Ryan's visit<3
1. Visitors!- 2016 was the year of east coasters coming to visit the “Last Frontier". The visits started off with an unplanned visit from my mom and older sister after mine and Sam’s accident in early March. Though I don’t remember much of their visit, I appreciate their ability to come and help to care for us in the days following the accident. 
Later in the year, April brought with it a stream of back-to-back visits. From mine and Sam’s friends Jon and Elisabeth (who got engaged during their stay!), to my sister and brother-in-law, to our final visitor of the year, our friend Ryan, the month was nonstop. I valued every minute of these visits and often reminisce on the adventures had and memories made during the month. *I look forward to seeing more familiar faces stepping foot in Alaska in the coming months! 

Annabelle and I loving Dr. Seuss
2. Annabelle Dixie- I cannot get enough of Sam’s niece that made her debut in late March. I wanted nothing more than to fly down to Florida to meet this sweet girl the moment she was born, but the wait was worth it when I finally got some baby snuggles this summer. Don’t get me wrong, her parents and grandparents are also great people, but Miss Annabelle totally steals the show these days! *Two of my Alaskan friends are currently expecting and I am pretty darn excited to meet their little ones!

3. Tiny Houses- For those who might not know, Sam and I enjoy anything and everything tiny house related. I was thrilled to finally be able to go visit a company that designs custom tiny homes while I was in Orlando this summer. It should also be noted that I was ready to purchase a home that day, and often refer back to it when the topic comes up. I call it the “wedding dress” effect in which I can’t help but compare all other tiny house to this particular one. It’s a shame that this house was custom made for someone and was leaving the warehouse a few days after our visit.

4. Back with my Kiddos- By the time August rolled around, I wanted nothing more than to get back to school to see my “kids”. I was even more excited to get final word that I would be the itinerant special education teacher in Pilot Point this year. I count down the days to my monthly Pilot Point visits and am thankful to have the opportunity to work in two schools that have both stolen my heart. 

Our trip to Tanalian Falls
5. Port Alsworth- Early in the school year, I joined Sam, Caitlin, Emily, and Racquel on a boat trip up to Port Alsworth. We spent the night camped out  on the beach under an incredible Norther Lights display, and got to visit with good friends the following day. I loved the trip that our friend Abbey led us on, as we took an 8 mile round trip trek up to Tanalian Falls and then on to Kontrashibuna Lake. The trip home to Nondalton was certainly unforgettable and this trip remains to be one of my favorite Alaskan memories to date. 

A late night viewing:)
6. Northern Lights Sightings- This year has brought with it many middle of the night wake up calls to see some breathtaking Northern Light shows. I don’t think this will ever grow old, and each night of interrupted sleep is well worth the extra caffeine needed the next day. 

7. A Growing Family!- Though I wasn’t able to be there to witness it, I was over the moon when I heard that my future sister-in-law said yes when my brother proposed to her in October. I was then brought to tears last week when Ashley asked me to be one of her bridesmaids. I am so excited to take part in their special day and cannot wait to see what the future holds in store for them!
Sully A.K.A. Ugly Dog <3

8. Ugly Dog- Oh man, my “not my dog” dog has quite simply stolen my heart this year. This little stray is the cutest “Ugly Dog” ever and he has quickly claimed me as his “person”. We’ll see what happens for Sully (he couldn’t be called Ugly forever ) and I in the New Year! 

9. Quality Time with Loved Ones- I love nothing more than to be surrounded by friends and family. Whether adventuring or just sitting around playing games, I crave time to visit with those I love. This year was filled with countless memorable visits and I hope that 2017 provides me with more of the same encounters. 

10. Birthday Celebrations- This year, both of my parents celebrated their 50th birthdays! I am so grateful that their birthdays fall during my school breaks and that I could be home to celebrate both of them. Though his birthday was last week, we are celebrating my Dad’s birthday tomorrow and I am looking forward to the party and to seeing family and friends that I haven’t seen since in months! 

Along with summing up the year, I wanted to come up with some goals for the new year. I don’t want to call them resolutions because that term tends to bring with it guilt when said resolutions are not followed through with. In setting a goal, I feel that I can either take the steps to meet my goal or not, and at the end of the year I can then reflect on the goals and re-evaluate steps I can take for the following year. 

Goals for 2017-
1. Spend More Time Crafting- Definitely did not have enough crafting time this year! I’d like to start something new but nothing has caught my interest enough to commit (suggestions greatly welcomed!). 

Six Mile Lake, Nondalton
2. Get Outside More- To start reaching this goal, Sam and I are planning to acquire my principal’s bikes and to explore our communities from a new perspective! 

3. Stay Present/Remain in the Moment- It is a daily struggle, but I try to remain mindful and stay wholly focused on the present moment.

4. Take Better Care of my Emotional Health/Learn to Say “Sorry, but NO”- Another daily struggle, but I’m getting better at politely saying “No” when my plate is too full.

5. Continue to Strengthen my Faith- I have witnessed unwavering faith during two tragic times this year and both instances have inspired me in ways I cannot put into words. Last year my goal was to read the Bible, and my progress has been slow but also steady and I am eager to continue my reading in the upcoming year!  

No comments:

Post a Comment