It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas!

Christmas has always been one of my favorite times of the year. This is mostly because it is when my family’s tree farm is open and every weekend is spent outside selling Christmas trees (insert promotional post here- go to Wyckoff’s Tree Farm in NJ to get your tree!). While I am having the most amazing time in Alaska, I have been aching to be out on the tree farm with my family. Not only do I miss the farm, but I miss all of the sights, sounds, smells, and tastes that are connected with Christmas. It’s one of those feelings that I can’t quite explain but I think people will understand what I mean by that. 

Luckily, along with the help of others, I have been able to remedy most of this holiday homesickness. I’m constantly listening to my Christmas Pandora and I have a candle wax warmer that makes my apartment smell just like Christmas. In my classroom, my students and I have a countdown chain to Christmas just like I’d always had growing up. My students love coming in each morning and racing to be the first to ask to pull down a chain. We then count the days until Christmas as well as days that we are going to have visitors or important events; we call it our classroom family tradition:)

Well, I must have mentioned missing the tree farm a few times over the Thanksgiving weekend because when I went to the post office last week I was in for a surprise. The postmistress carried out a big box with a smile and I just knew that inside there was a Christmas tree. My incredibly thoughtful boyfriend had gone out and gotten me a real Christmas tree! It even came on a stand with lights; I still cannot believe that he did this and it is exactly what my apartment needed. All of these things combined really puts me in the Christmas spirit:)

As if all of this wasn’t enough, our cook and his wife had a Christmas party last night. I was excited but I also wasn’t sure what to expect or who would be there. When I walked in the door however, I was surprised at how many people were at their house. I’m not exaggerating when I say that over half of the village was there (they had to count people at one point for a gift exchange and I think there was about 40 in all..). It was so nice to be able to visit with everyone while eating delicious food. While I had been worried that the community would be mad at me for leaving, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Last night I was shown how much these people have embraced and accepted me as part of their lives. I found that they were sad to hear of my leaving, but they all said that they understood why I was leaving and they hope that I enjoy Nondalton. I was overwhelmed by their support and it truly made me feel like I’ve made some positive impact in my short time here. 

While I visited with different families and people that I don’t often get a chance to talk to, the big gift exchange was getting started. I’d never seen a group of people so excited for a gift swap! The thing about this one though is that you don’t just give/receive a present. It’s been called a “White Elephant” exchange in other places, but when I said that name no one knew what I was talking about. How it works is that everyone gets a number and then when you’re number is called you can pick a gift. However, anyone after you can choose to steal your gift or pick a new one. If your gift is stolen, you can steal from someone else or pick a new gift. Let me tell you… It was intense and filled with laughter. 

At one point, there was a painting that kept getting stolen and I stole it on my turn. It was then stolen from me right when I thought I was in the clear! I’m perfectly happy with the glass float that I ended up with (and it technically crosses of my PIP bucket list item of finding a glass float.. I technically did find it under the tree as someone rationalized). Oh it was such a great time and there were quite a few “gift wars” towards the end when someone would steal and then it turned into a domino effect of presents being stolen. Everyone was in great spirits and laughing so hard by the time we all had our final presents. 

Last night was just what I needed to really feel like it’s Christmas time. It was also a great way to see people and talk to them, just in case I don’t get to see them during my final two weeks in Pilot Point (I can’t believe that’s all I have left here!). I came home, sat by my Christmas tree, turned on Pandora, and just thought about how lucky I am to be on this adventure. While this has been a great Christmas season away from home, I am incredibly excited to be back home just in time for some of my favorite Christmas traditions:) 

1 comment:

  1. We're glad your Alaskan family is taking such good care of you! We can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete