Miss Norman Needs a Nap

And a stiff drink.. This week was the one from you know where and when 2:15 rolled around yesterday (we get out early on Friday) I was so happy I could cry. The week started out smoothly, but that only lasted until Wednesday morning. From there on out, things took a turn for the worse. My kids didn’t want to listen and I was short on patience. The combination did not make for a good few days.

While I cannot blame it solely on my students, their attitudes and behaviors really got to me this week. In talking to my co-op, I found that I was not alone in this, and I think I know why they are acting out. First of all, the full moon is tonight and I truly believe people start to get crazy around this time. Second, they are ready to have winter break and their minds are checking out. Third, I think it is a defense mechanism because my co-op and I will be leaving. All three of these things put together made for kids who refused to listen and who acted as if we’d never learned any concept in any subject or aspect of life this entire year. 

Needless to say, it wore me down. Wednesday night when I usually stay at school and do lessons or bring home work, I went on strike. I put on a chick flick, grabbed my comfy blanket, and parked myself on the couch where I remained the rest of the night. I felt a little guilty at first and then I quickly tossed that notion out the window and just let myself relax. For once, I was asleep by 10pm (the earliest in my time in Alaska I think..) and I still woke up late at 7 the next morning. My body is starting to go on strike too I think. I’ve pushed myself to the point of mental and physical exhaustion these past few months, and this week it caught up with me and is knocking me off my feet.

However, I only have two more weeks to get through. I say “get through” only in the sense of actual lesson planning and school work. I am wishing I could slow down all other time and have more hours of daylight in my last days here. While my body is tired, my mind is begging to explore and adventure up until my final hours in Pilot Point. I want to visit with my kids, go for runs, and watch the sunrises and sunsets. I want to go down to the beach, out on the honda, stop by the post office to talk to the postmistress and go to the store just to see people. This semester has worn me down, but I wouldn’t trade it for a single second. I can’t wait for the sun to come out today so I can show the new teacher (who got in on Monday) around the village that I call home. Miss Norman got some sleep last night (after a nice glass of wine) and isn’t letting this week stop her from enjoying all of her remaining time in PIP. 

No comments:

Post a Comment