I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice-Cream!

Since the moment I arrived in Pilot Point, there are certain things that I have heard again and again; “last year our teacher did this”, “Miss Norman that’s not how we did things before”, and many variations of these two sentences. But there is nothing I’ve heard about more than the phenomenon that is ice-cream making. My students have talked about making ice-cream so many times since August, and finally this past week we were able to make some.

The process was relatively simple because all we had to do was add water to a mixture, stir it around, and then add it to a machine. However, the process is not instant and it took many rounds to complete the whole batch. Each round took 45 minutes and yielded about 6 cups of ice-cream. I think we had to do 10-12 different batches (I lost count somewhere after the fourth batch). Once it was done, the students put it in cups and then took it to the freezer so it could set. 

By the time our family game night rolled around on Friday, we had people who don’t normally come waiting at the door just to buy ice cream. When one of my students made an announcement to the village about family game night and how we would have ice-cream, the locals became really excited. Ice-cream is no joke in PIP... We sold the ice-cream as a means of raising money for PIP’s student government and we made a pretty good earning from both family game night and the ice-cream sales. My students were happy that they’d been able to make it again and it was nice to be able to see them working hard to get it ready. Hopefully this will keep them motivated to want to make it again. While it certainly wasn’t Mackey’s (my favorite ice-cream place back home) or Dairy Queen, it was pretty tasty and I’m happy there are extras for when an ice-cream craving sets in!

No comments:

Post a Comment