Thanks a Million

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays because it has always meant that I’d get to eat some yummy foods and spend the day surrounded by family. This year was my first time not being home for the holiday and I was anxious that the homesickness would really kick in. While I did ache for home throughout the day, I actually had an amazing Thanksgiving. There are so many things that I have to be thankful for that it would take pages and pages of writing to fully cover the whole list. However, I decided to list the top 10 things (in no particular order) that I am thankful for this year (I’ll try to keep it brief):

  1. The professor at Centenary who brought LPSD to my attention- Without him, I would never have known that this opportunity existed nor would I currently be on the adventure of a life-time. He also provides me with support along the way and it’s nice to have someone in the lower 48 who knows what it’s like out here. 
  2. The support I receive from my family and friends-Never once have they questioned my decision to move out here and have continued to support me from afar. The letters and care packages I receive get me through some tough days.
  3. Skype and Face-Time- Being able to see my family and friends when we talk has been great. I always look forward to skyping with my dad while I’m getting ready for school throughout the week. This journey would be much harder without the ability to see the faces of my loved ones.
  4. Having a job- I still cannot believe that I secured my first teaching position four days post-grad. Nor can I believe that I actually get paid to be living this dream. 
  5. Supportive co-workers- At this point I consider many of my co-workers to be great friends. I can’t believe the incredible personalities that I have the fortune of working with; from my principal to our guidance counselor and so many other teachers. There are many times when I get emails or messages from co-workers who just want to check in and see how I’m doing. I am so thankful for the friends I have made along the way and hope that we only continue to become closer. 
  6. The district’s tech guy- Somehow along the way I got lucky enough to find him. Sam puts a smile on my face and makes me laugh throughout each day. I’m so thankful to have been able to spend my Thanksgiving weekend with him:)
  7. Amazon- And any other company that ships to us out in the bush. While I don’t buy much online, it’s just nice to be able to buy what I need. It’s also exciting to have it waiting in the post office whenever it makes its way to PIP. 
  8. Pilot Point- My first home on my own and the place where I have grown so much. The people in my village have welcomed me and have made this experience so much better. I love to wake up each morning and look out at “my” lake and “my” volcano. Pilot Point will forever own a piece of my heart. 
  9. My students- My “kids” as I call them have been a pain at times, but at the end of each day, I care for them all so much. I feel so lucky to be able to be their teacher. I am going to miss them all, but I am so happy for the time that I was able to spend with them. Even on their worst days they make me smile, and I have grown so much as a teacher because of them. 
  10. My camera- Not that I could ever forget the beauty of the state I’m living in, but it is great to be able to get pictures of the sights I have seen. Whether it’s an animal, my students, or even the empty tundra, I am so thankful to have a camera to snap some shots. I don’t want to lose any memories in the bank of Alaska moments, so taking pictures helps me remember the way I felt at certain times. Whenever I look at my pictures, I am reminded of the moment in which it was taken and it’s like I’m reliving it all over again. 

I have so many more items that I could add to the list, but these are just a few of the ones that I feel thankful for each day. I feel so incredibly blessed and fortunate to be on the adventure that I am living. I can only hope that others feel as fortunate as I do, no matter what their circumstance. I try to capture each moment and take part in every opportunity offered because you never know when situations will change!

No comments:

Post a Comment