Lights On, Lights Off: The Sequel


Well I apparently spoke too soon when I wrote about our power outages last week. Since then, we’ve had four more outages; all of which have been in the span of 48 hours. The wind just keeps blowing and PIP’s power is not strong enough to endure it.. As I type this, I am experiencing the worst outage of my time in Pilot Point (of course when I am able to post this, it will mean the power has returned). 

While I have many power outages under my belt from back home and know what to do to take care of myself, village power outages are different. Especially when the sun has yet to come out.. I woke up this morning at 6:30 (this whole not being able to sleep in on the weekends is starting to get annoying) and quickly realized that the power was out. When this happens back home in the lower 48, your first instinct is to look out the window to see if it was just your house or if the other houses on the street lost power as well. However, out here, if one house is without power it almost always means that they all are.

So when I went to look out the window (like I said, instinct), I saw only black. Normally when I look out my windows at night or in the early morning I can see a small light from outside the school, a streetlight, or even the lights from the house across the lake. It isn’t much, but it is always a comfort knowing that I am not in total darkness. This morning though, I am in complete and utter darkness. It’s as if someone has covered my house with a black curtain and if you can’t already tell, it’s freaking me out. Not only is there no light, but the normal, ever present hum of the generator in the building next to the school is absent this morning. All I can hear is the wind, but even that takes breaks; besides my typing right now, there is no sound at all. I’m currently cursing my aunt and uncle who made me watch “30 Days of Night” before I moved out here.. I  have locked myself in my room with a few candles and I am just waiting for when it becomes daylight. I don’t care if it’s rainy and gloomy, as long as there is some light outside I will be happy. 

*The power has since come back on. And then gone out. And then come back on. Seeing as how it's only 9:00am, it looks like it's going to be one of those days! It's light out now though and there's now rain which is a plus. It must be a sign to stop lesson plans and get outside on "my" honda (blog to follow) for awhile:)

No comments:

Post a Comment