A Gift a Day Keeps the Insanity at Bay

As my walls and every surface of my house become covered in letters from friends and family, I have to say a big thank you. Living alone in a village can become very lonely. There are some days when I wonder if I’m going to lose my sanity because I haven’t talked to another human my age in days or weeks (I talk to myself quite often- it's becoming an issue). It really isn’t bad most of the time, but there are definitely days when I’d give anything to be back in New Jersey listening to my friends talk about anything (honestly when I see them, I won’t care what they say as long as I can hear their voices). It’s gotten to the point where I cried twice last week. Once was because I heard my best friend’s voice on the phone (this is the longest we've been separated since in 17 years) and the other was when I saw another of my best friend’s on Skype. I didn’t realize how much I missed just hearing their voices or seeing them. 

What has made my journey much better has been getting countless care packages (many of which are unexpected which makes for an extra treat). My family and friends have continued to show their support and I can’t thank them enough. One of many things I have learned since I’ve been out here is to enjoy the little things in life because they truly are the big things. So thank you to all of those who have sent me letters, care packages, texts, and well wishes on Facebook. Your encouragement, curiosity, and support has gotten me through some lonely days<3



No comments:

Post a Comment