Where's Waldo?

There are so many things that I mean to have written about sooner but I lose track of my posts and forget what I’ve added and what I’ve yet to cover. I know I talk about the villages all the time, but I have never shown a map or anything to highlight the area in which our district covers. LPSD is part of the Lake and Peninsula Burough which is along the southern Peninsula.

Our school district is comprised of 13 schools at the current moment (I double checked but I apologize if I missed one!). There have been more in the past but it all depends on the number count of each year. The law requires there to be at least 10 students in any given school or else it will shut down. One of our schools was shut down last year and just re-opened this year; I think they actually have 17 kids this year. We have been on the edge of our seats in Pilot Point because it was touch and go for awhile as to if we’d make the count. The count took place this week and we are safely through with 13 students! 

The villages/schools that are within LPSD are:
  • Chignik Bay 
  • Chignik Lagoon 
  • Chignik Lake 
  • Egegik (I was on the runway here today but haven’t set     foot on Egegik ground)
  • Igiugig (I got to walk around the runway and go in the visitor center this past weekend)
  • Kohkanok 
  • Levelock 
  • Meshik School, located in Port Heiden
  • Newhalen 
  • Nondalton 
  • Pilot Point
  • Tanalian School, located in Port Alsworth
  • Perryville
Not to be quoted, but I believe our largest schools would be Tanalian, Newhalen, and Levelock while our smallest schools are Egegik and Pilot Point (I could be wrong, but from the numbers I’ve heard this would be about right). Travel between some of the northern villages can be easily done with a honda, a boat in the warmer weather or a snow machine when the lakes freeze over. The southern villages all require planes to travel in between. You would think that it wouldn’t cost much to get between the different villages but I called the other day to get an estimate for a trip up north and was told that it would be $1,400. This was for one way and I was looking for a roundtrip! There’s so much more I could get into for each of the villages but I just wanted to highlight which schools are part of my district and to show a map so it’s more visual so people know where I’m talking about if I mention them in the future:)

No comments:

Post a Comment