Another One in the Books!

I can officially add parent teacher conferences to the list of things I have survived as a first year teacher! Granted, I only had four families show up, but they were conferences nonetheless. Also, to be fair I have multiple kids from each family, so I had seven different conferences by the end of it.While I was really nervous as I prepared for them, I could not have asked for them to go more smoothly. 

Just like so many things out here, conferences go a bit differently than in the lower 48. One of the moms joked that they should be called parent-teacher-student conferences. This is because we have the students come in on the conferences so they can hear how they are doing. They are also able to share what they think they are doing well and what needs work. I was hesitant to do this with some of my students, but it went surprisingly well. My students were excited to show off our “Proud Wall” where we hang assignments or things that they are proud off; kind of like a big refrigerator! I’m happy to have my first round of conferences under my belt and can’t wait to keep working with the kids so they can show more improvement as we go along!

No comments:

Post a Comment