The Bloody Moon Visits Pilot Point

“Miss Norman I saw the bloody moon last night!”. This was the first thing I heard from one of my 3rd grade students this morning (she was close enough so I didn’t correct her). The big event of this week was last night’s lunar eclipse which we happened to be in prime viewing location for. Yesterday after school, all I could was cross my fingers and say my prayers that no clouds would be in the sky between 1:15 and 4:30 in the morning.

Someone out there must have heard my request, because when I woke up at 1:45, there was not a cloud in sight. Half-asleep, I grabbed my coat, shoes, and camera then headed out the front door. I didn’t have to go far (which was good because the temperature was about 20 degrees) because the moon was right outside my house as if it was putting on a show just for me. I honestly could have watched it from my bed, but the glass made for a bad glare in pictures. When I went out, the eclipse had already been in motion and the moon was slowly being overtaken by a dark shadow. As I watched, it became more and more covered until just a tiny sliver of white moon was showing. I continued to watch until it reached it’s peak at 2:25. I have quite a few pictures of it’s progression that I used to teach lunar eclipses to my students today. I will try to upload them soon but it is just one of those things that you really need to see to get the full experience!

 Content with the beauty of what I’d witnessed, I climbed back in bed and tried to get as much sleep as I could. Despite my efforts, I was unable to stop hitting the snooze button this morning. Just another day that I’m thankful that I live twenty feet from school and that I don’t need to be dressed to the nines. There was a lot of coffee consumed by this teacher today, but it was more than worth it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment