Airport Friends

My first day of the journey to my new home was mostly spent on airplanes or in airports. Along the way, I had some great seat mates and friendly co-fliers. However, it was during my layover in Seattle that I met a really nice woman named Karen. Karen and I happened to be at the “Alaskan Lodge” during the lunch rush and were asked to sit closer together to make room for other hungry fliers. We made some friendly small talk, and then we started talking about our different travel plans.
Which is when I found out that because of her job she has flown out to Alaska over 50 times, and even knew about the villages that I would be traveling to and through! She spent half an hour offering advice and tips that I hadn’t even thought of before. I felt so appreciative of this woman that I had just met taking the time to make me feel more comfortable about my trip, as if she were a friend I’ve known for years. 
As I was leaving to get to my terminal, she told me that while in Anchorage, that I absolutely had to eat at a restaurant called Humpy’s. Of course I said I would try, but I knew my days in Anchorage would be spent marathon shopping and shipping items to my village. So imagine my delight when on my second night in Anchorage I was told we were going to this hot spot of a restaurant, only to ask the name and to find that it was the same place that Karen told me I had to try. I only wish that I had a way to tell her that I went and that it was just as great as she told me it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment