Snow is On its Way

I've been told that when the fireweed blooms reach the top, that snow is just around the corner. Similarly to our Groundhog and his shadow, the bloom of the top of the fireweed plant is said to mean that the first snow is 6 weeks away. I guess we’ll have to see if it comes true, but I’d say the fireweed in Pilot Point have definitely reached their top blooms!
Since I’ve gotten to Alaska, the weather has been much warmer than I was expecting. However, our mornings are definitely getting colder, and our days have been starting to see less sun (we’ve lost about 147 minutes of daylight in the three weeks I’ve been here!) and more rain. Even with the rain and wind (I’m told start preparing for the high speeds soon), my village is beautiful. I’d love the warm weather to stick around, but snow and winter also mean no more mosquitos and other unwanted bugs!
I’m betting on the legend of the fireweed being true, and I think we’ll have out first snow by mid October (so it is written, so it shall be). I’ll be sure to take note of the day when the snow first makes its way to little old Pilot Point:)

No comments:

Post a Comment