Darn That Miss Norman and Her Evil Ways

I had to go into full on teacher mode first thing this morning. It’s never fun to be the bad guy, especially at school:( But when your four morning students all show up to school without their homework, you have to pull the plug on “Fun Friday”. I was planning on taking them outside for a morning recess today as a reward. Then my kiddos didn’t have their homework this morning, so as much as it killed me to do it, I had to take away that reward.
Truth be told, I don’t blame them for not wanting to get their work done; it was a really nice day yesterday. However, Miss Norman has to try to instill in them that it’s important to get your work done before doing fun things.
Students might think teachers enjoy taking away fun activities, but trust me, we don’t. I was really looking forward to getting outside and out of the classroom this morning! Oh well, this isn’t the last opportunity for “Fun Friday”, and judging by the looks on their faces when I said no morning recess, they won’t be forgetting their homework next time (fingers crossed!).
It’s also nice to know that they didn’t let this change their attitudes for the rest of the day. Later in the day, they told Chris (the other teacher) that we were the best teachers ever. I think I got back on their good sides when I brought out the Base 10 Blocks in math class (seriously they think these are the greatest thing ever, and don’t realize that their learning math while “playing” with them). Whether they like me or not, they will thank me some day:) Also, if this is the only thing that brought a damper on this week, I’ll gladly take it. I’d say this second week of teaching is officially a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment