T.G.I.F

I survived! This has been a challenging and exhausting week, but I am proud to say that I have completed my first week of teaching! Add on the fact that every child was alive at our 2:00 dismissal today (fridays are early days-lucky kiddos!), and I’m feeling pretty accomplished:)
Not only is it challenging to plan for the students in the various levels for different subjects, but also getting the children into a routine takes work; and lots of it! I have spent approximately 14 hours a day at school each day this past week (I don’t know if it’s good or bad that I only live a few feet away). Planning lessons and making schedules and keeping everything organized definitely has me staying busy!
It’s all worth it when my students come in each morning and ask me what the new joke of the day is, or when they want to sit next to me at lunch or during silent reading. I’m even letting them help me with my ALS bucket challenge tonight as a way to further create a connection with them; also as a treat for doing so well the past few days (they are so excited!).
Teaching out here in rural Alaska is going to be hard work, but I believe that these children really deserve time and effort put into giving them the education that they need and deserve. They are great, funny kids who just need some structure and extra love.
While I convinced myself on day one that I shouldn’t have been hired or that I would be fired (blame it on being over tired and a bit overwhelmed?) I think I might make it as a teacher after all:)

No comments:

Post a Comment