The Many Hats of a Teacher

I can’t tell you how many times throughout college that I heard my professors say “Teachers wear so many different hats each day”. Sure I knew this to be true, and of course I was exposed to it during practicum and student teaching. But the hats that a teacher wears in rural Alaska are the ones I was used to, and then some.
On my first day of school, I wore many different hats; I was a nurse, peace-keeper, lunch room aide, scientist, listener, and librarian just to name a few. However, the most memorable hat that I wore during my first day on the job was the bus driver hat. Yes, that’s right, I was the bus driver. (Now let’s just clarify that by bus, here in Pilot Point that means a pick-up truck, but it’s a bus all the same). Luckily for me, this meant that I was more focused on finding each child’s house that I didn’t have time to worry about how my day was going to go!
In addition to all of these other hats, an important one that I had on my head my first day was that of an experienced teacher. While I only have my experiences in college to support me, my students couldn’t know this. They need to think that I’ve got this all down to an exact science! Truth be told, I woke up that first morning wearing the hat of an extremely nervous first year teacher with butterflies in her stomach. However, I’ve learned the importance of tossing my hat to the side and picking up all the ones that my students need me to wear instead. Let’s see what other hats I pick up along the way here in PIP!

No comments:

Post a Comment