What Does the Fox Say?

After my first day of teaching, I found myself at school until after it got dark. Which in NJ this time of the year would mean 9:00, but here in Pilot Point it means 11:00 or so. So I was shutting off all the lights and getting ready to walk home, when I almost had a full blown panic attack thinking about the many different animals that could get me on the 30 feet (give or take) walk home. But then I convinced myself that it was all in my head and that I would be fine.
Which of course is when looked out the window and saw a fox casually strolling past my front door.. taking his time to linger.. It’s like he knew I was trying to get home. So at that point, I had resigned myself to sleeping in the school. If there was a fox out there, who’s to say he didn’t have a wolf or bear friend hanging out with him?? But it had been a very long day and I wanted my own bed, so I had to take what at the time felt like a big risk. I made sure to open and close the school door a few times to make noise and flash my flashlight a few times before walking (okay jogging) to my front door. When I got inside, I felt pretty accomplished. Needless to say, I’ve got some braving up to do before we lose our daylight out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment