Welcome to the Distillery

While I fall in love with Pilot Point more and more each day, there is one thing that I don’t love about living here; the iron in the water. Pilot Point has a lot of iron in the water supply, which means that the water isn’t really drinkable. Many of the villagers drink it, but it can turn your teeth yellow over time, and in general probably isn’t healthy.
So for those of us who don’t enjoy the metallic taste of iron-water, there are water distillers. This is a magical contraption that involves a fan sucking up the good water and leaving the iron behind. It still hurts my brain a little to think of how it works, and I’ve studied the “how it works” page from the box many times. Anywho, it  cleans the iron from the water and makes it much tastier:)
The downside to using a distiller is that it takes forever! To get one gallon of distilled water takes about 6 hours (I think, I’ve never timed it out, but it’s around there). Then you can fill up your containers and start all over again. For a person who drinks a high volume of water on a daily basis (aka this girl), this is a pain in the butt. I am constantly refilling the distiller. filtering the water (even after it’s distilled, I filter it in my brita before drinking it), and replenishing my supply.
Not only have I gotten into a routine of distilling two gallons a day (I really need to get a second distiller and some more containers to fill), but I’ve also grown accustomed to the noise. The distiller makes this humming/whirring sound throughout the whole process. It’s a good thing I am a sound sleeper, because others might not be able to run their distiller at night. I have a love-hate relationship with this distiller; I love it because it gives me drinkable water and I hate it because it takes so long (I drink a lot of water each day).
Even though it takes forever to get iron-less water, I am grateful to have access to clean drinking water. I know there are many other villages, towns, and countries that don’t have clean water, or any access to water at all. I’ll happily run my distiller 24-7 as long as it means I can stay hydrated and iron-free! Now if only I could distill my entire water supply (I’m still getting used to smelling like “clean metal” when I’m done in the shower).

No comments:

Post a Comment