Dory and Marlin Must Be Close!

After I got locked out of my house and was subsequently rescued by my new friend Bruce, I definitely needed a pick-me-up. So we decided to take a drive to the landfill. To some it might not seem fun, but to us, it was an opportunity to drive down the only road we haven’t traveled (If I’m counting correctly, there’s 7 in all). We got some great pictures along the way, and then when we were heading back, Kathy (my co-teachers friend) spotted whale spouts out in the bay!
Without question, I threw the truck in reverse and drove us down to the road that runs along the beach. We then proceeded to watch the whales spout for what felt like hours (in reality it was 10 minutes). I could have stayed forever, but everyone else was getting a little restless, so we headed back home.
Later on, Kathy and I went back down that road to watch the sun set over the water. It’s been on my list of things to do and just haven’t had the time until last night. Not only did I get to see the sky turn amazing colors as the sun said goodnight to us, but I also got to see the whales again!
We asked one of the village families what kind of whales are normally here, and they said they were probably gray, but maybe humpback. Kathy told me that humpback whales are more common and that if they were gray whales that we were pretty lucky. I guess we’ll never know which whales were hanging out in the Ugashik bay last night, but I’m glad they stopped by:)
While the whales never breached, I was just mesmerized by watching their spouts spraying out of the water. Just knowing that there were giant creatures right beneath the water, only two or three miles away from us, was enough to make my night. To me, it’s incredibly surreal to think of what lies below the surface of the water. Hopefully this won’t be my last whale spotting, and maybe next time they’ll decide to come up and say hi:)

No comments:

Post a Comment