A Steam Bath, Soft Pretzel, and Sleepy-time Tea


These are the ingredients to the most relaxing night I’ve had in a very long time. I am in a state of post steam-bath bliss right now, and my eyes are starting to become sleepy, but I wanted to write this one tonight. I’ve been waiting to post about “steams” until I was able to experience one for myself. Today was finally the day, and it was just what I needed!
Most villagers have steams outside their houses. A steam is what we in the lower 48 would call a sauna. Except here, you can also use them in lieu of or in addition to a shower. Tonight I went to Al and Sue’s house to use theirs. They are one of few people, in this village at least, who have an indoor steam. When it gets colder in a few weeks, I will be incredibly grateful for this fact. It makes it much more relaxing when you don’t have to walk outside in the 20 below temps to have a steam. I won’t lie and say that I wasn’t nervous about my first steam, because I was. I wasn’t quite sure what to do, but luckily Sue explained it to me (I would have managed to find a way to mess it up had she not).
While I was a little worried about the process, it’s really simple and incredibly relaxing. If you want to take a “dry” steam, you can just go into the room and act as if it is a sauna (and no, for those wondering, you don’t wear clothing). Or, like I chose tonight, you can take a steam-bath. In the steam, there is a heater that obviously generates the heat (I’m sure it has a more technical name, but that’s what I’ll call it). On top of the heater sits a basin of water which becomes super hot. There is also a tub of cold water which you can use to refill the hot water basin. In addition, Al and Sue have a hose of cold water so you can re-fill the cold tub as well as use it to make the hot water bearable to use. There were also quite a few other bowls and basins. You can use these to add water to and then wash your hair, or soak your feet, or anything you want really. It took a few tries to figure out how to get the water to the perfect temperature, but once I did, I never wanted to leave!
While some may question how sanitary steams are, I can assure you that it is was a hygiene friendly process. My mother raised me to be a germ-a-phobe and I give it my seal of approval (she probably still wouldn’t do it, but she’s an extremist). You sit on a towel when you go in, so there is no need to worry about the spread of anything through contact. Also, the water you use it constantly refilled by the hose and then becomes so hot in the basin on the heater that any germs would be killed by the heat.
I’m sure all steams differ in size and set-up, but  Al and Sue’s steam has two benches (like wooden bleachers), so you could have more people. Traditionally, more than one person steams at a time. Steams tend to be social gatherings in the villages, and it’s common for a group of women, and men, to gather for a steam. I however, was able to steam on my own (thank goodness, because we all know how awkward I get..). I could have stayed in there all night, but I was starting to think I might fall asleep so I grudgingly forced myself to get out. I will most definitely be taking them up on their offer to steam whenever I want.
Afterwards, I went to visit with Al and Sue for a bit and I even got to watch some t.v. (which I realized I haven’t done in a month and a half- so weird!). I always like talking with them because I learn so much about the village and its history. I was also given a soft pretzel from a recipe that Al had been working on. I’m really starting to think that they are trying to make me gain weight here, because all they do is give me food! I very much enjoyed spending the night with them.
As I sit here getting ready for bed and sipping on my tea, I realize that I need to continue to enjoy these new experiences. Today of all days is a reminder of how short life is and how you need to enjoy the little moments, because you never know what could happen. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in planning lessons and going through standards that I forget to enjoy the fact that I’m living in Alaska! I’m learning how to give myself “Paige time” and live in each moment as it comes, but sometimes I forget to do so. Tonight, however, was the perfect night to sit back and let myself relax for a bit:)

No comments:

Post a Comment