Come One, Come All

Ladies and gents mark your calendars, because today is a day that will not soon be forgotten. Today is the day that Chris and I have been excitedly waiting for these past two weeks.However, we didn’t have to wait nearly as long as all the residents of Pilot Point for today’s momentous occasion. You see, today was the grand opening of the Pilot Point Store!
After many years without a store (the last store burned down in a fire over 20 years ago), a corporation was able to build a new store here in PIP. A lot of hard work and long hours have gone into building this store. Back when I interviewed in May, I was told about the store that was on its way. However back then, it seemed as if there might not be a reality behind it. Well, today when I walked in the front door, I can say it is a real, well stocked, store:)
This afternoon, we headed to the grand opening, and we were pleasantly surprised when we walked in the front door. Now, I don’t have much experience with village stores, but I think this is one of the best. It even has small shopping carts! We got to visit with the manager and quite a few of the villagers who were also shopping/celebrating. Now of course, they don’t have all the same things as stores in the lower 48, but they definitely have more stuff than the store back home in Harmony.
There are obviously going to be mark-ups on the prices of most items, but to be honest, most of them weren’t all too bad. The meat, produce, and ice cream are definitely things that I would purchase only in an emergency situation, but the rest of the store had okay prices. I didn’t really have anything on my list today except for coffee creamer (so much for being a month sober from coffee. I’m back at it and up to three cups a day..)
However, the nice thing about the store was that everything was 10% off today for opening day. So I grabbed a few things that I wanted or thought would be good to have at some point. My favorite purchase were the necessary ingredients for s’mores:) Everyone back home, my friends especially, know of my love for these treats, so how could I not buy them when they were right in front of me?! I’m glad to be able to say that I was here for the opening day of the store, and it’s also going to be nice to have another place to visit:)

No comments:

Post a Comment