Mr. Skirbst Would be Dissapointed

This might be worse than that one time Shawnee and I lied to Mr. Skirbst in middle school (I’ll never forget the look on his face).. If I could go back and sit in on any one of his social studies classes, I would do it in a heartbeat.
I truly cannot say how thankful I am for teacher’s editions of social studies books! They have been saving my life recently and I am sure they will continue to do so! It can be tricky trying to plan lessons for my kiddos, especially when it isn’t your favorite subject. You’d think this would be easy to plan history lessons for four students, right?
No, it’s really challenging, considering the students are at 4 different levels. This also means that they are studying four completely different topics. My job is to try to coordinate their lessons to line up projects with one another (the project is the same, but the content will be different). It takes a lot of reading standards, researching the core resources, and staying organized and patient to plan these lessons. Luckily, two of my students are pretty independent and are working on syllabi set up by a previous teacher. This leaves me with focusing on level 5 and level 7; “Late U.S. History” and “World History”. This still isn’t the easiest of tasks, and it might be my biggest challenge at the moment.
Thankfully, I have an amazing staff that is so open with sharing lessons and methods that work for their classes. My colleagues are constantly forwarding lesson plans, outlines, resources, and much more. For a first year teacher (and one who has never worked with the SBS), these emails are always welcome and greatly appreciated! I’ve also got my two incredible side-kicks, TE 1 and TE 2, who help me when I forget about the things that Mr. Skirbst drilled into my brain all those years ago (but if you need to do a current events presentation on any news article, I’m your girl!).

No comments:

Post a Comment