Stepping Back in Time

As time goes by, I continue to realize how amazing village life is. Johnathen, Chris’ grandson is a constant reminder as to the way children are raised on screens these days. In no way is it his fault, but it is a societal norm now for kids to be given iPads and game controllers instead of coloring books and cardboard boxes. Living in Pilot Point is almost the same as taking a ride in a time machine.
First of all, whenever I go for a run, I am bound to see bikes laying out in front yards and discarded sweaters or jackets on the road throughout town. In many lower 48 towns these days, this would be a sure sign that you would never see these items again. Here though, it just means that there are children who still have playing to do, or clothes to track down when they get cold. There’s no fear that these belongings will be taken by someone else. It simply isn’t a part of the culture to steal.
Not only do kids not have to worry about their belongings being stolen, but they also don’t have to worry about their safety when they go outside to play. Well from other people at least; there’s always the chance that bears will be curious and come into town. My students go outside and play there for hours on end. They bike to each others houses, and stay there until their parents call them in. Not by phone either, parents just give a shout and the kids go running. They stay outside until it’s dark (sometimes way past a suitable bedtime), and aren’t afraid to get dirty. Sure they have video games, but they spend a majority of their lives doing kid things like climbing, riding bikes, making up games, and so much more! It is so amazing to see that there are still places that haven’t been completely taken over by screens (of course I’m a living-breathing contradiction as I type this on my computer with my smartphone in my lap).
While there are other problems associated with village life, the familial sense is incredibly strong (never mind the fact that 3 quarters of the village is related in some form). Sometimes I get phone calls to be invited out, but most times, I hear all the news and events from everyday interactions. People actually pop into the school just to visit and talk. We stop our trucks on the road just to catch-up. I go to the store just to visit with people. I’ve learned more about the post-mistress than I have about some of my friends from college. These simple interactions are lacking or non-existent in the lower 48.
Life back home is incredibly fast paced and for no good reason. We spend more time on our phones scrolling through twitter, Facebook, or Instagram than we do speaking to our friends; when we’re at a gathering we planned so we could catch up! Our grociers and bankers have become machines, and God-forbid we talk to the mail-man; because that would simply take up too much time out of our day.  I understand that I am guilty of all of these things, at one point or another, but living in Pilot Point has showed me the kind of community that I want my children raised in (when I have them years and years from now).
Sure there are flaws to growing up in the village like their limited exposure to the outside world and having no set routines. However, at the end of the day, these kids are getting real childhoods. They know more about fishing, boats, hunting, planes, tides, birds, and bears than I will ever know. And it’s not because a computer screen taught them! It’s because they went out on the boat with Grandpa, or set-nets with Mom, or went hunting with their Auntie and Uncle. They actually get their hands dirty and learn things the hard way. They use their imaginations and they are so unapologetically childish, and I love every second of it. I might be the teacher, but these villagers are teaching me so much more than I ever thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment