The Man in the Moon was Out to Play

After a long day of lesson planning and school-work, I was planning to get to bed early last night. However, it was a really clear night and the moon was shining brightly through my window. I went to look at it and couldn’t take my eyes away. I thought the daytime sky was beautiful here, but it pales in comparison to Pilot Point on a clear night. The almost full moon (it was full moon eve) was crystal clear and the small amount of clouds in the open sky looked incredible. Again, it’s one of those things that you have to see to really understand, but it’s what I saw next that I want to focus on.
As I was looking up at the sky, a small sheet of clouds made its way in front of the moon. I could still see the moon behind them, but I also saw what looked to be colored clouds. I stared in confusion, and then they got brighter and my mouth dropped open (I’m glad no one was outside because my curtains were wide open and I was standing at my window). It looked as if I was looking at a ring-shaped color of yellow and reds in the clouds around the moon. Of course I grabbed my computer and went to my friend Google to figure out what I was seeing. After some re-wording and searching, I think I was able to figure out what I was looking at; a moon halo. According to my new knowledge of this event, I can say that something happens with ice crystals in the air, and a colored ring forms around the moon. Then again, I could be wrong and please if anyone knows differently, feel free to correct me! It just seemed to match the description almost exactly. Anywho it made the clouds change the coolest colors and I ended up staying up an hour later than I planned watching the clouds pass by the moon.
*My blog website has not been working, and I am currently unable to add pictures. I will try to get them uploaded once the website is up and running smoothly.
**For science/astronomy lovers- check out this link for more info: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/moonhalo.html
***This post was meant to be uploaded on the 8th, but the site was not working. I was able to see the full moon the following day for about two seconds before a blanket of clouds hit the moon away from the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment