Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?




I see some humans looking at me!
This morning I got to sleep in a bit (until 7:15..) which was wonderful, and it was just nice to not have to worry about getting over to school for a change. Kasie and I got packed up and ready to head over to the D.O. (district office), and then another co-worker picked a few of us up a little bit later. D.O. isn’t a very far drive from the lodge and it makes for a nice walk. However, the path that begins as a straight, open road turns into a twisty wooded trail with lots of bumps and we had luggage so we took the drive.
As we were driving, Michael (Kitza’s husband) had our driver, Amber, slow down quickly as he noticed something up ahead. Then, the moment I’ve been waiting for finally arrived. Up ahead of us, right before the path got windy were two HUGE brown bears! They were just moseying along down the road away from us! I was able to get one shot of them, but as we slowly crept towards them, they disappeared into the woods. It was an incredible start to my morning, and I can officially cross another item of the Alaskan bucket list:)
The somewhat scary part about it though was that they headed into the woods at almost the exact spot that we were berry picking last night! It’s just a reminder that we are in their home and not vice versa. It is just important to pay attention to your surroundings while you’re out here. Michael even mentioned that he thought he had heard a bear around last night while we were out. Thank goodness he and Kitza kept me in their sight yet didn’t tell me about it, because I would have panicked. I would not want to come across one of those guys on my own, especially as I was stealing their berries!

No comments:

Post a Comment