And Suddenly... Winter!

Waking up this past Sunday, it was as if there was a shift in the air. Something that you didn’t even need to go outside to notice; it was a lingering feeling throughout the day. My Pilot Point sunrise was as it always is, but there was something different there. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it throughout the day, but I knew that something had changed. I didn’t figure it out until I went to run over to the school at 9pm and stepped out my front door.
It was as if I had stepped into the middle of winter in New Jersey! I couldn’t believe how quickly the weather had changed and has continued to do so this week. The past two mornings have shown a frost on the ground and the landscape around me just has that winter look to it. We are still quickly losing daylight out here and each morning when I wake up it feels like the middle of the night (which doesn’t help me get out of bed). Chris checked the temperature this morning and we’re at a chilly 35 degrees. Up until this weekend, our mornings were probably in the mid-40’s.
To me, it feels like any other “Wyckoff’s weekend” (7am wake-ups to get outside on the family Christmas tree farm). The difference is, however, that tree season begins on Black Friday, and at my last check, that’s still about two months away. Luckily our afternoons are still pretty warm! It’s about time to prepare myself for the “real” Alaska and not the Alaska that I’ve been spoiled with over the past two months! Warm thoughts are gladly welcomed:)

No comments:

Post a Comment